Hi Folks, just for fun I asked chatGPT :-
are there any advantages for running openstack and kubernetes together
I got the following response :
- Yes, running OpenStack and Kubernetes together can offer several advantages. OpenStack is a cloud infrastructure platform that provides a wide range of services for managing compute, storage, and network resources. Kubernetes, on the other hand, is a container orchestration platform that automates the deployment, scaling, and management of containerized applications.
- By integrating OpenStack and Kubernetes, you can create a powerful hybrid cloud platform that combines the strengths of both technologies. Some of the advantages of running OpenStack and Kubernetes together are:
- Resource management: OpenStack can provide Kubernetes with a pool of virtualized compute, storage, and network resources, which Kubernetes can use to deploy and manage containerized applications. This allows for more efficient resource utilization and better resource management.
- High availability: OpenStack can provide Kubernetes with high availability and disaster recovery capabilities. OpenStack's built-in fault-tolerance features, such as automatic failover and live migration, can help ensure that Kubernetes workloads are highly available and resilient.
- Scalability: OpenStack can provide Kubernetes with a scalable infrastructure. OpenStack's ability to dynamically provision and deprovision resources can help Kubernetes scale up or down as needed to meet the demands of containerized workloads.
- Networking: OpenStack provides advanced networking features such as load balancing, security groups, and virtual private networks (VPNs). These features can be used by Kubernetes to manage network traffic and improve the security and performance of containerized applications.
- Hybrid cloud: OpenStack and Kubernetes can be used together to create a hybrid cloud platform that spans both private and public clouds. This allows organizations to take advantage of the flexibility and scalability of the public cloud while maintaining control over their data and applications.
- Overall, running OpenStack and Kubernetes together can help organizations build a more flexible, scalable, and efficient cloud infrastructure.
Now don't take this too seriously as it is just chatGPT and needs more serious research and thought, for instance asking about disadvantages it raises the obvious one of (arguably) increased complexity and also perhaps extra compute resource overhead. Be good not to dismiss this topic , and my plan later in the year is to put together Mojaloop on Openstack using initially some of the OpenSource canonical tools (charms, MaaS etc).