Digital and Financial Inclusion Summit featuring the 7th Digital Impact Awards Africa

Tuesday January 26, 2021
11:40 AM UTC

Session Leads: Innocent Kawooya, Damali Ssali, John Mark Ssebunnya, Nicholas Kalungiya

Session Description: HiPipo, run the 7th edition of Digital and Financial Inclusion Summit featuring the 7th Digital Impact Awards Africa, we hosted panel discussion including one on establishing a Private Sector Led Real Payment Switch

Session Slides

Session Recording

Please post questions, suggestions and thoughts about this session in this thread.

Post by clicking the “Reply” button below.

What kinds of capital are needed to scale these WIF solutions? Loans, equity or grants - and at what sizes?

Combination, but would incline more to equity and grants.
Loan rates in a market like Uganda may be prohibitive for start ups.

:point_up_2:t4: question from @MichaelRichards

I studied and worked on this problem of capital for high risk / high impact start up in Egypt / MENA for years - different market but happy to share thoughts - generally, we focused on influencing granters (like USAID, DFID) to fund MVPs - and then to provide risk-mitigation tools to angel investors for the next round - if everyone in the ecosystem gets on board with that single message, it provides clarity to donors - which influences action. Caveat – challenge of fintechs is that functional MVPs are often much more expensive than other types of startups.

Brilliant. Thanks @stevenhaley1
Any case studies to reference?
We do have some teams that would greatly benefit from an incubator and latter accelerator program delivering the MVPs.

I have some old docs I can probably provide you but unfortunately no case studies - building an entrepreneurial ecosystem is a 10 year project - few organizations stick around that long - send me an email - steve.haley@modusbox.com and I’ll send you our 10 year Theory of Change! :slight_smile: