Minutes of the weekly meeting of the Mojaloop Design Authority 2021-01-20 13:00 UTC
- James Bush (Chair) email@example.com (JB)
- Miguel de Barros firstname.lastname@example.org (MDB)
- Simeon Oriko email@example.com (SO)
- Sam Kummary firstname.lastname@example.org (SK)
- Pedro Barreto email@example.com (PB)
- Justus Ortlepp firstname.lastname@example.org (JO)
- Bryan Schneider email@example.com (BS)
- Michael Richards Michael.Richards@modusbox.com (MR)
- Greg McCormick Greg.McCormick@sybrin.com (GM)
- Rob Reeve firstname.lastname@example.org (RR)
- Lesley Anne Vaughan email@example.com (LAV)
- Lewis Daly firstname.lastname@example.org (LD)
- Megan Cannon email@example.com (MC)
- Adrian Hope-Bailie firstname.lastname@example.org (AHB)
- Godfrey Kutumela email@example.com (GK)
- Review of minutes from previous meeting
- Discussion of Docker Hub rate limiting PULL requests · Issue #76 · mojaloop/design-authority · GitHub
- Discussion of Present the draft Fraud Risk Management architecture to the Design Authority for review · Issue #73 · mojaloop/design-authority · GitHub
- JB asked all attendees to review the minutes from the previous DA meeting in their own time to ensure accuracy.
- MDB explained the issues caused by docker hub rate limiting (Docker Hub rate limiting PULL requests · Issue #76 · mojaloop/design-authority · GitHub)
- Docker hub is rate limiting image downloads causing delays to the deployment of mojaloop software in some circumstances.
- LD mentioned his specific concern was for newcomers to the community experiencing issues when they first deploy the mojaloop software.
- Some possible mitigations/alternatives were raised and pros/cons discussed including:
- Use of a proxy cache.
- Setting up a private docker registry, possibly on a simple cloud hosted VM.
- Use of github registry.
- It was raised that users who log on to docker hub get double the download volume of anonymous users. This triggered a follow on discussion of how docker hub applies its limits. The conclusion was that docker hub limits the number of images downloaded, not the total data volume and that for anonymous users this is most likely applied per public IP address.
- It was suggested that changing the default image pull policy in mojaloop HELM charts from “always” to “ifNotPresent” would possibly reduce the number of image pulls. MDB took an action to make this change in the codebase.
- It was suggested that the mojaloop foundation could approach docker hub and seek an increased limit due to the open source and societal status of the project. LAV indicated that she would be happy to take this on should it become necessary.
- JB brought the discussion to a close in order to allow progress to the next agenda item.
- Presentation by JO, GM and RR on Present the draft Fraud Risk Management architecture to the Design Authority for review · Issue #73 · mojaloop/design-authority · GitHub.
- Several alternative architectures were presented which show various options for integrating a fraud and risk management (FRM) system into a mojaloop scheme including call interception before the API gateway, extension/replacement of the API gateway itself and data enrichment within the message processing pipeline in kafka.
- Discussion ensued around the typical business requirements of a scheme and its participants focused on the separation of responsibility between DFSPs and the switch/hub including how these could be facilitated by an FRM solution.
- Discussions were called to an end after overrunning the allocated meeting time significantly. RR raised that a one hour slot had been requested for this presentation. JB took an action to arrange follow on discussions and further DA time as and when required.
- MDB to change default image pull policy in all mojaloop HELM charts to “ifNotPresent”.
- JB to arrange follow on discussions on FRM architecture.